The Lettering and Commemorative Arts Trust, formerly The Memorial Arts Charity, was established in 1998, ten years after Memorials by Artists was founded, to promote, for public benefit, education in and appreciation of the arts and crafts associated with memorials, particularly good design and letter-carving.
Our objectives are:
- to foster and promote the art of fine letter-carving and good design in the making of contemporary memorials and wherever good lettering is required (eg lettered works for private gardens, public spaces and architectural lettering),
- to provide letter-carving workshops throughout the UK catering for all abilities, from beginners to professionals, and organising regular symposiums for professional letter-carvers, in order to maintain and strengthen Britain’s long tradition of letter-carving in stone
- to maintain our Apprenticeship Scheme whereby suitable students are apprenticed to Master letter-carvers for two years
- to provide opportunities for the public to see and engage with memorial art of the highest quality, raising public awareness of the historic traditions of memorial art, its role in the remembrance of those who have died, and the solace this can bring to the bereaved
- to encourage more creative rules and regulations in our churchyards and cemeteries so that memorial art can continue to flourish
- to influence standards in trade memorial making, forging links with the memorial trade to help improve design and lettering skills within the industry
Please help support the work of The Lettering and Commemorative Trust through donating on line or by contacting the charity directly.