John Neilson, born in 1959, has worked as a lettercarver in stone since training with Tom Perkins in 1991/2. Prior to that, after an initial career in teaching, he studied calligraphy at Roehampton, London.
John's current work includes lettering design and carving for architectural projects, public art, memorials, plaques, sundials, signs, and more sculptural pieces. He also undertakes some book design/typography, and teaches letter carving and design workshops.
John has exhibited widely in the UK and abroad, but works mostly to commission. Recent commissions include a number of public art and large-scale works including the free-standing lettering above the entrance to the Queen's Gallery, Edinburgh. He has completed some 50 memorials for Memorials by Artists.
He is an elected member of Letter Exchange and editor of their journal Forum. He is on the Crafts Council's Index of Selected Makers, and is an adviser to the Crafts Study Centre in Farnham.
John lives near Oswestry on the Powys/Shropshire border.