I have always been interested in lettering but not always in a formal way. I used to draw lettering a lot as a child, inspired by lettering on album covers and graffiti.
While on a stonemasonry course at Weymouth College in Dorset which included architectural carving, masonry, construction and lettercutting my fascination with working with text was re-awakened. This small amount of lettercutting at college led me to want to explore a more formal and thorough approach to lettercutting and I discovered the Richard Kinderlsey Studio in London, probably the best training available in this subject.
I trained with Richard for 5 years starting as an apprentice and going on to gain experience with large scale commissions, running a workshop and eventually training new apprentices. I set up my workshop in Norfolk in 2000 and was granted a Crafts Council Development Award in 2001.
I have been busy ever since working on a range of projects from memorial work to sculptural pieces for private clients and public art commissions, and font design. With memorial work my aim is to respond to my clients and try and reflect something of the individual that is to be remembered, and I relish to opportunity to create something new each time. I like to explore materials and what is possible, and have worked with glass, steel, cast iron and wood as well as with stone.
CV in brief
- 1968 Born in Winchester educated in Buckinghamshire
- 1988-9 Buckinghamshire College of Higher Education, Art Foundation Diploma
- 1988-93 Employment and artistic exploration
- 1993-5 Weymouth College NVQ levels 1-3 in Stonemasonry, Carving and lettercutting
- 1995-2000 working at the Richard Kindersley Studio, London 2000 set up workshop in Norfolk
- 2001 Crafts Council Development Award
Public Art commissions include:
- The Dings Homezone, Bristol - working with SUSTRANS and Bristol City Council a series of text based artworks built into an urban redevelopment scheme. I used a mixture of slate, Caithness flagstone and cast iron for the pieces.
- Llantarnam, South Wales - a sculpture commissioned by Celfwaith, Art Management in Wales in conjunction with Torfaen County Borough Council to commemorate a local VC war hero. I made a large slate three dimensional piece using words and imagery form a Welsh Hymn.
- Blaenavon, South Wales - a commission for a gateway feature for the town in glass and corten steel commissioned by Celfwaith and Torfaen County Borough Council for this UNESCO World Heritage Town
- N&N University Hospital, Norwich - a York stone sculpture to commemorate the founder of the Norwich Hospital Arts Project
- RAF Bircham Newton War Memorial - Caithness stone monolith to mark the importance of this now decommissioned airfield commissioned by the Bircham Newton Memorial Project.
- If not now when - Welsh slate seating and table commissioned for a local play area and tree planting scheme, a community woodland.
- Old Catton Dairy Sculpture - a stone commissioned by Abel Homes to mark the site of an old dairy within a new housing project.
- Letter Exchange Fifteenth Anniversary Exhibition. THE PRINCE’S FOUNDATION, ALBERTO VILAR GALLERY, London, May 2003
- Making It East, CRAFTS COUNCIL contemporary crafts FIRSTSITE GALLERY, Colchester, August 2003
- Cromer Artlights - in Conjunction with Commissions East and North Norfolk District Council CROMER TOWN CENTRE October 2004
- Bergh Apton Sculpture trail - BERGH APTON, Norfolk, May 2005 and May 2007
- Salthouse 2003, 2006, 2008. North Norfolk Exhibition Project SALTHOUSE CHURCH, Salthouse, Norfolk.
- Eastern Approaches 2009 HATFIELD HALL May-September 2009